Saturday, November 29, 2008

Run Diablo in multiple windows by Virtual Machine (zz)

Found this in Baron's Bazaar written by FeastForCrows:

" I was messing around with virtual machines using Windows Virtual PC 2007, so I thought I would see if I could run D2 in a virtual PC session. That worked, so I tried another installation in another virtual machine ( I have 2 full sets of the D2 CDs) which then allowed me to concurrently run two D2 sessions at once on one computer.If you are not familiar with virtual machines, it is like each running virtual machine is its own computer with its own memory, hard drive, etc. which is totally separate from host system. Therefore each D2 session running inside a virtual machine does not see any other D2 session, so they coexist happily.Both sessions are displayed simultaneously on the same computer screen, and you just slide your cursor between them to control each session. You do not have to iconify one to see the other as with running two D2 sessions within the same windows session.

From the screenshot above you can see the two sessions. My screen size on my laptop is not quite big enough to show 2 800x600 windows so there is a bit of overlap on the two sessions. With an external monitor this is not an issue.Another thing that makes it convenient is that you can save the running state of the virtual PC so that you have an extremely rapid start up of your D2 session. It takes about 6 or 7 seconds to get back onto Battlenet when you click on a dormant session.

technical info:
Host OS: Windows Vista business
Guest OSs: 2 X Windows XP (256Mb RAM, 5Gb Hard drive, 800x600 resolution)
Host PC: Dell latitude (notebook) D620, 2 Gb RAM "

No comments: